Are you celebrating International Day of Forests (IDF) on March 21st? Do you know why this day is so important? For ten years, the global community has using IDF as a catalyst to raise awareness about the importance of forest, trees and the earth's biodiversity.
Want to learn more? Keep reading!
In this post, we'll explain what international day of forests is and five reasons why you should celebrate trees!
Looking for more? Scroll to the bottom of this post to find 10 free stock photographs of forests.
What is International Day of Forests?
The International Day of Forests was established in 2012 by the United Nations General Assembly to raise awareness about the importance of forests. Global partitioners in this day of celebration are encouraged to organize activities that involve forests or trees, in some capacity. These activities can include everything from tree planting parties to fundraisers for nonprofit organizations who focus on forest regeneration.
March 21, 2022 marks the tenth anniversary of the International Day of Forests. The year's theme for IDF is "forests and sustainable production and consumption."
5 Reasons to Raise Awareness About Endangered Tree Species & Celebrate How Useful Forests Are
- Forest contain more the 75% of the world's terrestrial biodiversity, which includes over 50,000 tree species.
- Billions of people across the global community depend on forests for food and shelter.
- It is estimated that the world loses more than 8 million hectares of forest each year - a cause for global concern.
- A tree can sequester carbon dioxide and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, which makes them extremely useful.
- Trees are integral to creating sustainable city centers. In urban environments, trees provide cool air and remove harmful particulates.
10 Free Stock Photos of Forests
1. Sun-lit Forest Trail
I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees.
- Henry David Thoreau
2. Mountainside Forest in Autumn
An autumn forest is such a place that once entered you never look for the exit!
- Steven Magee
3. A Natural Landscape with a Lake & Forest
What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another.
- Chris Maser
4. Sunlight On a Lonely Forest Road
Every forest branch moves differently in the breez, but as they sway they connect at the roots.
5. Young Couple Hugging in the Forest
Time spent amongst trees is never wasted time.
- Katrina Mayer
6. Forest Path with Fallen Leaves
It is said that the forest has a certain limit if you look straight ahead, but the sides are boundless.
- Ricardo Bozzi
7. Foggy Nature Scene with Tall Trees
There is a serene and settled majesty to woodland scenery that enters into the soul and delights and elevates it, and fills it with noble inclinations.
- Washington Irving
8. Aerial View of a Lush Trees
When you are lost in the wilderness, a tree will always point you in the right direction.
- Anthony T. Hincks
9. Guy Sitting in Nature
Trees are sanctuaries. Whoever knows how to speak to them, whoever knows how to listen to them, can learn the truth.
- Hermann Hesse
10. Person in Red Jacket Hiking Through Woods
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.
- Rachel Carson